Sunday, November 7, 2010

Behind the White Door


Thank goodness for doors. Doors are my co-conspirator for hiding messes. Doors and drawers are my friends.
Yesterday I tackled the mess that is my pantry. I'm embarrassed to say how much expired foods I tossed yesterday.
My pantry has never been a tidy place. It is so easy to just stuff my dried goods in behind the door after grocery shopping.
I found many "gift" foods that have been given but never eaten. I also found that I have 5 bottles of vinegar. I rarely use vinegar. Evidently whenever a recipe called for vinegar I just went out and bought another bottle. I have a lot of Karo syrup too. I think this is left over popcorn ball fests from holidays gone by.
So yesterday I decided to make a soup with what was on hand. Since I had all of the dry goods on the counter I could actually see what I had. I made a delicious soup with white beans (that I did not know I had), Dried mushrooms (that I did not know I had) some frozen sausage, potatoes and spices. I threw in some vinegar just to feel good about using it (since I had 5 bottles).
So in a nutshell, two accomplishments in one day - clean cupboards - delicious soup!

No comments: