Sunday, December 23, 2007

Best Birthday Bundt Cake


Having a birthday near Christmas can be torture for a child. I always felt a little ripped off when I was a kid because manytimes I would get the usual "This gift is for your birthday and Christmas" routine.

As an adult I've always hated when well meaning co-workers organized a birthday lunch or gifts because I knew it was Christmas time and they were already being nickled and dimed to death with gift exhanges, secret Santas, obligatory gifts for people they barely knew but had to buy for because it was the right thing to do.
This year a kind co-worker and friend surprised me with a darling cake. It was wrapped in festive plastic in an open cake box and inside was a great red velvet bunt cake. I could not remember the last time I had a birthday cake on my birthday. I was very touched. I was even more touched when I found out that her husband picked up the cake on his Harley and bungied it to the back. I wish I had a photo of that.

I received some very thoughtful gifts from family and friends and my husbands parents called me on my drive home and sang Happy Birthday to me. It feels good to be loved.

No comments: