Saturday, October 4, 2008

First Friday

After living in the area for four years now my husband and I finally ventured out and attended a First Friday event in Phoenix. This is an art event with a street fair feel. Many people open their homes and small galleries for a walk through and art sale.



We started out with drinks at an outdoor bar near Roosevelt avenue. This was next door to the restaurant Fate. There was a DJ with some thumping music and a party atmosphere.



The weather is finally cooling down below ninety degrees here. It was still hot but pleasant. I imagine that the November First Friday will have ideal Arizona weather.







There was definitely a little of everything to be found.


There were a lot of street performers from drummers, bagpipers, break dancers to ghost busters.




The Roosevelt area was Obama central. Lot's of Obama supporters and many irreverent political t-shirts for sale. I loved it. I felt at home with my peeps.




It wasn't Scottsdale, but who cares. You would be hard pressed to find a lamp made of a coffee can with hanging spoons.



So in the interest of stimulating the economy I had to add this original piece to my art collection.



I love her isolated beauty in a futuristic setting. The title is "The Misunderstanding". The artist was a very cute woman named Xappa.


I look forward to the next First Friday. It was very funky and very fun.







No comments: