Saturday, May 30, 2009

Lightness of Bee-ing

Today I thought I would share some random photos from my hard drive. This series of photos were taken at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta a couple of years ago. I can't even remember which year as my years are starting to blend.


I lived in Albuquerque for several years and loved it. Albuquerque is a ballooning Mecca due tot he climate and an arrangement of mountains that keep the winds blowing a certain way on a good day. In the fall they have a week long festival that should be on any ones "things I must do before I die" list. Yes you must get up before dawn and fight a little traffic but it is so worth the effort.


There is nothing like the smell of a breakfast burrito on a chilly morning at balloon fiesta. When you get there you are waiting with thousands of other people for the sun to rise. You grab a little breakfast and a hot drink to stave off the chill of pre-dawn. Even though there are thousands of people you do not feel crowded. It's a wonderful big party where everyone is a kid for a day.
Before the sun comes up you can walk around and watch hot air balloons being inflated. You can walk right up to the balloon baskets and feel the hot hair being thrust into the bodies of the balloons. Some balloons are called "special shapes". You may see a hundred or so balloons in the shape of animals, vodka bottles, Noah's Ark, a giant train etc.... It is truly a wonder to see.

The balloons in my photos today are of a pair of Bees. The balloons sort of float around depending upon the wind. In this case the Bees are blown up side by side and are very close. As the wind blows they sort of bump into each other. Everyone waits.......



for them to bump together in a kiss.

No comments: