Saturday, June 6, 2009

Not-so-brilliant Landscape Design and Man Eating plants.

When we bought our home we decided to have a pool. Once the pool was in we had to decide on landscaping. We thought that desert plants would be the best solution so we would not have to spend additional money and effort watering tropical plants. I know, cactus and barefooted bodies don't sound like they would go together well but we don't have children and we figured we would be able to avoid accidents by falling into a cactus since we are adults and all. (this has only happened twice so far)
We hired a landscaper. He brought in some cactus, agave, ocotillo and some other blooming plants. One area of our yard that was of concern was the corner with the unsightly pool pump. It's huge and white and very visible. (See ugly photo above)

The landscaper planted some spikey sort of plant (I can't remember the name for the life of me). He told us this was a great plant and that it would grow fast and soon cover the pool pump. What we didn't realize was that periodically we would have to go to the pool pump for maintenance. What we also didn't realize was that the plants were actually a form of barbed wire and that when you walk through it the plant rips the crap out of your clothes and skin and also leave little cactus like barbs. Now when ever I go back there I come out bleeding.
My next complaint is that the huge white pump is still totally visible. The plants didn't cover shit.
I have been on the hunt for over a year for a reasonably priced decorative item to camouflage this eyesore. I have found some beautiful outdoor art but it is totally out of my budget. I'm almost ready to sew a giant tea cozy or something to cover it.
Who needs a Tiki themed yard when you can go Cookie Monster.
For that Mother-in-law themed yard.

Painted breast and nipple theme.
I'm almost ready for this sock monkey with a fez themed pool pump cover. I told you I was desperate.

Once I find something cool I am ripping out those razor plants and putting something soft and fluffy there.
I'm open for suggestions. Feel free to pass them on.




3 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

A pool pump cozy?

How about that plastic trellis stuff? We did that in our last house, and grew some vines on it.

But if you're trying to stick with desert landscaping...they have other types of low-water ornamental grasses, or even large day lily plants that are big and drought resistant.

Good luck with this!

gitsy said...

You'd better watch out. When I read this entry, it screamed "my sister will find something for me at a yard sale and send it across the country" :-)

QCEVO said...

Gitsy, I'll only accept something that you have knitted, crocheted or felted yourself.