Monday, April 7, 2008

The Joy of Cats

Since I moved Gary the Cat's favorite chair/scratching post out of my studio he has started scratching the back of my office chair for attention. I picked up a new scratcher toy for him and he took to it right away. Here he is using it as leverage while playing with his feather toy.



Gary is a bruiser of a cat. He has short legs and is muscular. We adopted him from the Humane Society. He was probably about 1-2 years old. We did not pick him, he definitely picked us. Or I should say, he picked my husband.



He put on a grand show at the shelter rolling around and making himself seen. We had never had a cat with claws before. That took a little getting used to as Gary prides himself on keeping them nice and sharp. I can only trim about 2 nails at a time and I have to trick him to get that many before he runs off.


Gary is also a chewer. He loves purse straps, pencils and cords. When we bought our house he promptly gnawed the kitchen faucet and left marks. Later when we got new window blinds he chewed the bottom half of all of the cords. He chewed lamp cords until my husband discovered something called bitter apple.

Gary loves to play rough. The notes from the shelter said that he was surrendered because "he beats up other cats". We know that he loves to play rough but doesn't know when to quit. He is strong willed and sometimes does not back down. We actually thought he may have been raised with dogs because of some of his behavior. One of his favorite games is to ambush me when I walk through a room. He will run out from behind some furniture and grab my leg and then run off. He is gleeful when he does it like he is so proud of himself. He loves to be chased too. He is basically a good boy and we are so happy we have him in our lives.

Animals are a blessing to be sure.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's a good boy!!!!