Sunday, September 21, 2008

Queen of the Universe Shrine

I was in Orlando Florida this weekend and my husband and I drove past a sign marker with the words Mary Queen on it. It was one of those tourist markers that show you where to turn. I commented that that should read Queen Mary. Why would they have a museum or attraction to Queen Mary in Orlando?


Out of curiosity we followed the signs and it turned out to be a National Shrine to Mary, Queen of the Universe. Of course I had to go in. It turned out to be a beautiful beautiful Catholic Church shrine to Mary the Mother of God.


Photo of a mosaic above one of the doors of the church.


Door from a distance.
The main church was very beautiful. My photos don't do it justice. I should have taken more but I was in awe of the silence.


Looking towards the altar.




The church was lovely with lots of clear glass accents. The stained glass windows were very beautiful.






The shrine itself is a graceful white marble statue of Mary.


There was a mass going on in a side chapel so I stayed on the other side of the church, said a few prayers and lit candles for loved ones.

If you are in the Orlando area and in the vicinity of this shrine I would say it is worth a stop. There is not cost but donations are always accepted. They also have one of the biggest Catholic gift shops I have ever seen.

Here is a link with more photos and information regarding Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine.

No comments: