Saturday, January 17, 2009

Barrett-Jackson 2009

A few years ago I discovered that I actually like vintage cars. I don't own one and probably won't because I am too practical and hate the thought of insuring an extra car, storing it and maintaining it. But if money was no object and I could collect cars like Jay Leno I KNOW that I would want to own a 1957 Bellaire. I love 1950's cars.



I found that I like photographing old cars and especially like cars with flames. I think it would be fun to learn how to paint and pinstripe cars.




My husband loves fast modern cars. When we are on the road he can tell you what make model and year a car is. I can tell you what color a car is and that is about it. I just know if I think a car is cute.

The Barrett-Jackson Auto auction is in Scottsdale this weekend. We had some friends visiting from Kansas and we spent a day there walking, dreaming about cars and drinking beer. Not necessarily in that order.


This event is huge and there are miles of tents and cars. This is an excellent people watching venue. The average person attending the auction appeared to be men in their 60's. The uniform was a golf shirt or Tommy Bahama shirt and a baseball cap. I wasn't there in the evening but I'm sure that due to the smell of money it is cougar city after dark.

More food vendors than the fair but way better choices.

Some of the cars under the tents.





Cool car details.


A little purple passion.

Loving the chrome!



Bad to the bone.


Batmobile in the house.


This is the holding area just before they drive the cars into the arena for sale. I fondly call it the testosterone pit.



I could not get a good photo of this fellow in the center of the photo below. He is wearing a green shirt and was smoking a foot long cigar. He was looking intently at a sort of jeep with a machine gun mounted on it. For some reason his cigar was cracking me up.

More cars on display in one of the buildings.

A view in the main building. You can see how large this venue is.


The speed channel has been on in our house all week. Below is a link to the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction website. It also features a live feed.


No comments: