Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Wrestler



Wow. We went to see the movie The Wrestler yesterday. Mickey deserves an Oscar for this role. It was a very good movie. Gritty, real and sad. I thought all of the main characters were played so well.

I don't know why Hollywood is acting as if Mickey has been gone for such a long time. We've seen him in plenty of movies, Sin City, Domino, Once Upon a Time in Mexico. I loved his character in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. He's been around and he's been good.

I could not take my eyes off of his face though. He has definitely had some sort of plastic surgery on his face. It actually adds to the character in this film. His eyes are so expressive and when he smiles you get such a sweet side of the character. Actually the character is a very sweet guy. He's just in such a strange business.

Marisa Tomei plays her character well also. I have never gotten over her Oscar win for My Cousin Vinnie. I thought it was not deserved. However she has redeemed herself in my eyes in this role. This time she has a real role and she is really acting. She is also brave for taking this role as she plays a stripper and has a few almost naked dances around the pole.

The thing about this movie is that it is a great story but it is also a good story about aging. Everyone ages and it comes at you fast.

I recommend this movie. Bring some Kleenex.

No comments: